Monday, October 24, 2011

Thanks for the Mammaries!

"We will NEVER give up!"  - Dr. Sheri Phillips. 

These were the last words spoken at the closing ceremony yesterday afternoon at Turner Field in downtown Atlanta, GA.  These were the last words spoken after it was announced that the Atlanta 3-Day raised $6.2 million dollars for breast cancer research, advocacy & patient assistance.  These were the lastwords spoken after 2,400 walkers finished a 60 mile journey in & around Atlanta.  These were the last words spoken - out loud, by the masses, for the universe the hear. 

But, even before that a lot of cool things happened, too!

Here's a shot of Team Diamond Stone on Sunday morning.  Despite the cute smiles on our faces, a lot of us were hurting & struggling pretty bad with blisters, sore muscles and hangovers (WHAT?!  Just Kidding.  Just wanted to see if you were paying attention).    Our sign reads:  THANKS!  You ROCK!  From Team Diamond Stone.  And it was made for YOU - our kind & generous friends who've sponsored & supported us throughout this adventure. 


Here's a shot of me, Mary, Cati and Melissa.  This photo is taken is Piedmont Park in Midtown Atlanta. 











How much do you love this guy?  I'm pretty sure he didn't have a voice when he woke up this morning.  He screamed and cheered and yelled and encouraged us NON-STOP through Freedom Park!  I wish I could put him in my pocket and keep him for regular ol' work days when I need some inspiration. 


Our #1 fans, Maleah & Kyle, surprised us at Freedom Park!!  How AWESOME was it to see them there, with a sign in hand, waiting for us when we still had about 5 miles left before the finish line?!  You really can't imagine how much of spirit boost it is to have your own fan club cheering you on!  We love you Maleah & Kyle!  Thank you so much for spending your Sunday with us!




And, here we are.  Team Diamond Stone at Turner Field after finishing the 60 mile trek.  Our sign says: "Thanks for the Mammaries!"



Here we are again giving a shot out to our dear friend, Miss Lorelei Schuman, with a sign that says: "Miss Lorelei - We Walked 60 Miles for You!"  She's a Crimmins family friend who's kicking cancer's ass right now.  Please include her in your good thoughts & healing prayers. 


Cati & Mary's Aunt Lucy was just diagnosed with breast cancer, so they wanted to make sure she knew they were thinking of her at this very special time.



Cati & I wanted to give a shout out to my aunt Michelle Heidelberg and Granny Jane Becker Heidelberg.  I carried you both in my heart every step of the way.  I love you both dearly and am so thankful I am a part of your family. 


Ok, so this fella had on a t-shirt worth documenting.  What do you think?  I like it a lot. 



Cati & her friend, Lynne, at Turner Field.  Do you notice the pin on Lynne's right side?  It's a picture of Cati that she wore throughout the race.  How sweet is that?!


This is my new friend, Tina.  I noticed her from a distance when her shirt caught my eye.  In case you can't read it, it says:  "I would walk to the ends of the earth to bring you back."  When I read those words, I stopped dead in my tracks.  It hurt my heart to wonder who it was she was talking about?  How many people in your life would make you feel that way? 



For my friend, Tina, it was her Mom. 


Here we are showing off our new t-shirts!!!  woohoo!!!  Walkers got white shirts and survivors got pink shirts.  At this moment, not a single one of us felt a blister or sore muscle....we were high on adrenaline and the joy of the moment!  What a fun celebration to mark the end of our journey!!!  I must have high-fived 762 people - at least!!!!


Alice promised some of her sponsors that she'd give a shout out to some special people during the walk.  She decided to put their names on her bandana.  Pretty cool, Al-Gal!!!

Dr. Sheri Phillips on stage at the closing ceremony!  She was pretty amazing!!! 


This might be my one of my favorite shots out of all that I got throughout the weekend.  This is the shoe salute that all walkers & crew members gave to the survivors as they made their way in to the center of our circle.  We all took off one of the shoes we had worn on the 60-mile journey and raised it in the air as they made their way in to the group.  It was a tribute to them & their fight and to let them know that they are why we did what we just did. 




And just like that...it was over.  Alice & I suddenly couldn't walk another step.  heehee





In all seriousness, here's a shot of my sweet friend, Cati Diamond Stone, and her daughter, Leah Diamond Stone.  If, at any point, you forgot or don't know why I just walked 60 miles in 3 days - here's your answer. 



“Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it.”
Mother Teresa

xoxo,
Kim

2 comments:

  1. Once again sitting at my desk at work with tears in my eyes. I love all the signs and words of inspiration. I'm going to use the Walt Disney one for a poster for when we cheer on the Dallas walkers in our front yard, which you have 100% inspired me to do. YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! What an amazing accomplishment. So in awe of you! xo

    ReplyDelete