Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Climbing up the hill

Pairs well with: "February Seven" by The Avett Brothers
and "Nothing But A Miracle" by Diane Birch

So, THE WEEK is finally here.  The week I begin my 3rd Komen 3 Day Walk with Team Diamond Stone.  The week I begin my 60 mile journey through Atlanta.  The week I take a stand for breast cancer patients, survivors and, even, those who have lost their battle to the wicked disease.

And the week I turn 40.  

I wish I could say I was equally excited about BOTH big events.  The truth is: I'm having a harder time with the turning 40 than I imagined.  And I'm not sure why?  

Because of my ambivalence about growing older I decided to try to find some things to cheer me up & make me feel better.  Let me tell you, there's no shortage of jokes and funny (or, what some would call funny) sayings about being "Over the Hill" and "Middle Aged".  I'm sure they're all made up by young, immature jackasses.  In the midst of all the weak attempts at humor I did find a few gems that I thought I'd share with you here.  

Click here for a list of truths about turning 40.  And for the record, #3 cracks me up, #8 didn't take me turning 40 to figure that out, #12 HAS happened to me (read my blog post about the Payne Center to better understand what I'm talking about & how devastating it was when it happened), #14 not only am I 40 but I am also a lesbian - I ALWAYS choose comfort, #21 I couldn't agree more, #38 made me stop dead in my tracks & cry a little.  I guess I'm having a really hard time with this, huh?

For a gentler & more calming view of aging, click here.

And, finally, for a humorous list of instructions for what to do (or what to pay attention to) when you turn 40, read this.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't show you this:






I leave for Atlanta on Thursday morning.  The walk takes us in & around Atlanta on Friday, Saturday & Sunday.  I've got my camera already loaded in to my backpack, so I promise to take lots of pictures and update you all each night.  (Oh, BTW, I think I've convinced Sarah to be my guest blogger on Friday so stay tuned for an early post before I update you after Day #1.)

Thanks - from the bottom of my heart - goes out to everyone who's supported me & my teammates in this endeavor.  I sincerely appreciate your kindness and generosity.  It means so much to me & I promise to carry each of you with me through the 60 miles.  All of us are in this together because everyone deserves a lifetime.

xoxo,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment