Saturday, October 19, 2013

Numero Dos

Day 2 & the second 20 miles is DOWN!
In the record books.

Today was the first day in our 3 years of walking the 3 Day in Atlanta that we got rained on.  
All day long!!!

But before today, there was my INCREDIBLE birthday party last night!
How much do I love my team?!

My Incredible Cake

Me, Leah & Andy Stone

Cati & Melissa

Cati, Mary & Melissa

The Girls

My Incredible Hulk hat & shirt
Admire it now because as soon as I get home Kelly Crimmins will claim them BOTH!





Our dear friend, Misty, came out to cheer us on -- in the rain!!!

How cute are Jamie, Rowan & Max? 
Thank yall for coming - in the rain - to see me & let me get some Baby Rowan lovin'!

I kinda wanted to cry when I saw Donna & Jes.
And it's not just cause they brought me birthday balloons!
(Oh, and they were most definitely HAPPY tears!)

What we looked like most of the day!  



I'm sorry I didn't get more pictures today.  The rain really interfered with my paparazzi impersonations.  Tomorrow is promising to have better weather...so, stay tuned!

We're doctoring gigantic blisters, sore muscles and achy joints over pizza and beers tonight.  The Auburn Tigers just beat Texas A&M (and I'm in a house full of Auburn grads & die-hard fans), so life is good.  Really, really good.

When we were walking to our cars tonight we passed a woman & her family who were coming to join the cheering section at the finish line.  She was wearing a pink t-shirt, had short hair & stopped to ask us if she was walking in the right direction.  Her daughter pulled me aside when Cati was explaining the directions to her and said, "She's a breast cancer survivor.  She's coming to cheer y'all on."  She didn't have to be there.  She didn't know someone walking.  She simply wanted to come out and thank every walker for what they're doing.  When we all separated Team Diamond Stone announced "We're walking for you, you know" and she stopped.  Dead in her tracks.  And simply said, with tears in her eyes, "Thank You."

My feet hurt like hell.  I've got blisters that would scare you.  My joints ache.  I spent over 8 hours in the rain.  My skin is chafed.  It was a 9 hour day.

But I did it for women like her.  And women like my dear Cati.  And women like my Maw Maw, and my Aunt Jo Jo, my cousin Heather, my aunt Michelle, my Granny Jane.  Women like you and me.  Women who live and love life.  And since Everyone Deserves a Lifetime - I walked another 20 miles today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment