Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pigskin & Poetry - A match made...where?!

"If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily."  - Gerald Good

Two things that I’m thankful for today:

1. Fantasy Football* – My sweet, noncompetitive Dad has been playing this game for years with some of his college buddies & my uber-competitive brother-from-another-mother, Tom (aka my work husband) played the whole time we worked side-by-side in Atlanta.  From these two guys I learned enough about fantasy football to know 1) how to play and 2) how much fun it could be, so I decided last year to join some of my friends (husbands) and have my own team.  <I knew this was a good idea because only cheering for the Saints isn’t good for my heart (amount of close calls or games that come down to the wire), stomach (amount of worrying during each game) or liver (amount of beer consumed during each game).  The only other team I am hopelessly devoted to is The Miami Dolphins.  It was in the 80’s that I decided that tangerine & aqua were a fabulous color combo.  It was, also, in the 80’s that I had a poster of Dan Marino, the hall of fame QB from the Dolphins, hanging on the wall of my room - not because I thought he was cute, but because I wanted to throw a football as perfectly as he did!  These days, Dan is a spokesman for NutriSystem weight loss & the dolphins have yet to recover from his retirement.  Hence: I needed to start paying attention to some other NFL teams!>.  Unlike my Pop, I am very competitive so I bought numerous magazines, found websites and read up & studied players like I was, actually, a team owner preparing for draft day.  My team name was The Fat Frogs (because Kelly attended the 1st draft party with me and at 4 months old, when you changed his diaper, his legs folded up & he looked just like a fat frog).  Season #1 was um, let’s say, a learning experience.  I learned that I need players with more damn experience if I’m going to win.  Basically, we got our butts kicked!  But that did not deter us from sharpening our skills in the off-season.  We came back this year with a vengeance as The Angry Fat Frogs!    I went in to the draft party with my game face on & notes in hand on every single player I was even remotely interested in drafting.  Not only did I have a plan, but I had backup plan to back up my backup plan.  And, guess what?!  I am currently tied for 1st place in my league.  Yippee!!!  Honestly, it’s not about the winning….oh, who am I kidding?!  HELL YEAH!  It’s about kicking the boys’ butts up & down the football field.  And the $500 prize for 1st place!!!  So, here’s my starting roster.  If you find yourself bored with a game this Sunday simply because “your” team isn’t playing, keep an eye out for one of these fellas. Yell & cheer them on for me.  Cause if they win, I win.  And, if I win, then we all win.  And that’s what it’s all about.  There is no I in TEAM, is there?
The Angry Fat Frogs (2011)
QB - Matthew Stafford – Detroit Lions
RB – Arian Foster – Houston Texans
RB – Fred Jackson – Buffalo Bills
WR – Roddy White – Atlanta Falcons
WR – Wes Welker – New England Patriots
WR – Hakeem Nicks – NY Giants
TE – Antonio Gates – San Diego Chargers
Defense – NY Giants
K – Stephen Gostkowski – New England Patriots

* Fantasy football is an interactive, virtual competition in which people manage professional football players versus one another and that allows people to act as general managers of a pseudo-football team. The players that an individual is able to manage are professional American Football players in the National Football League. The different actions people are able to make are: drafting, trading, adding/dropping players, and changing rosters. Due to the growth of the Internet, fantasy football has become far more popular in America today than ever before. In the last few years, it has become a growing phenomenon.

2. My favorite poem – Being the unabashed optimist, I fell in love with this poem the first time I read it.  We’ve been going steady ever since. 

Hope is the Thing with Feathers

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chilliest land
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
-      Emily Dickinson

xoxo,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment