Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Random Musings

Random Musings for which I am Thankful:

"It is by studying little things that we attain the great art of having as little misery and as much happiness as possible."

1.    Atlanta – Where the playas play!  It’s the birthplace of all 3 boys; where Sarah & I bought our first home together; where Sarah & I still own that home (so if you know anyone in the market to buy a house give me a call!  I’ll make you a deal you can’t refuse!); the best grocery in all the land: Trader Joe’s; the dive bar El Myr & their steak & mushroom quesadilla accompanied by a PBR draft in an ice cold mug; the bustling Six Feet Under, overlooking Oakland Cemetery, & their fish tacos; the quaint Taqueria del Sol & just about everything they serve on their menu including a margarita on the rocks with salt; IKEA; Stone Mountain park; our neighborhood: East Atlanta & the EAV; The Gravity Pub; Thai Sushi in the EAV; Charis bookstore; Oakhurst neighborhood & The U Joint; Emory University & their still undefeated football team; Fellini’s pizza; Piedmont Park; the Atlanta Pride festival; the Jennifer Nettles Band (before Jennifer Nettles was ½ of Sugarland); Outkast; The Tabernacle (where, yes, I stood in the rain to see Justin Timberlake); The Indigo Girls; The WNBA team: The Atlanta Dream; our annual Christmas In The Cove party; The Dogwood Festival; "Staycation" with Donna & Jes

2.    Food Network holiday specials – I am a year-round Food Network fan, but my adoration is elevated ten-fold during the holidays.  The whole gang: Rachel, Bobby, Ina, Paula & Giada kept me sane during 7 weeks of bed rest during the months of November & December 2008.  I was “cooking” two little boys as I watched my friends whip up cookies and cocktails and entrĂ©es, Oh My!  And, I have to admit that even Sandra Lee’s ridiculous kitchen decorations are easier to tolerate during the holidays.

3.    Days off during the week (unplanned) - that include a nap in the rain (not literally sleeping out in the rain, but comfy in my bed as it rains outside) even if a snoring boy snoozing next to me interrupts said nap and a workout – all before 5 pm!

4.    A 4-day-weekend – What’s not to love about a few work days off every now & then, especially when the only thing on the “to do” list is eat lots of delicious food?!  Sign me up!

5.    New running shoes – I heart my new Asics.  I seriously didn’t curse at myself (in my head) last night nearly as much as I usually do during my workout.  Who knew?!  At this rate, I’ll be purchasing new shoes every few weeks if they make that much of a difference!

6.    Leftover turkey sandwiches on fresh/soft white bread with a mayo, salt & pepper

7.    Christmas music on the radio – even though it was a brisk 70 degrees here today, I really enjoy hearing the sounds of the season coming through my stereo as I drive around town.  I had to laugh today, though, as I was getting out of my car in Bay St. Louis, MS (gulf coast).  The family next to me emerged from their minivan in shorts, flip flops & tank tops as “It’s Beginning to Look A Lot like Christmas” was playing on my radio.  That is what Christmas looks like when you live at the beach, I guess!  Nonetheless, I have been known to whip out a Christmas CD during July – if I’m in need of a little attitude adjustment!  The tunes start earlier & earlier each year, so I have usually hit my quota by December 25, but for now….as we gather together with our families, eat the hell out of some turkey, pull out the wrapping paper & jumbled up Christmas lights – turn it up!  I mean, It is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

8.    Words I Wish I Wrote: One of my favorite authors, Robert Fulghum, has a book entitled: Words I Wish I Wrote and it’s a complete journal of excerpts, passages, quotes, etc. from other pieces of literature.  I love it 1) because I just love him and everything he writes/says and 2) because this particular book reminds me of so many of my own journals.  I often write on my own; however, many of my journal entries are simply lines taken from favorite poems/books/movies, etc. that move me.  One particular quote that I found recently (in an old journal) came from The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood.  This quote spoke to me enough to jot it down for later reflection:
  • “…but Sidda was tired of being vigilant, alert, sharp.  She longed for porch friendship, for the sticky, hot sensation of familiar female legs thrown over hers in companionship.  She pined for the girlness of it all, the unplanned, improvisational laziness.  She wanted to soak the words “time management” out of her lexicon.  She wanted to hand over, to yield, to let herself float down into the uncharted beautiful fertile musky swamp of life, where creativity and eroticism and deep intelligence dwell.” 
Thanks for letting me simply be tonight.  Life has been unusually busy (moreso than normal) lately, so I apologize for not checking in more often.  I hope that those of you spending this holiday with family have a great time, eat well & cherish every moment together.  For those of you sticking close to home & tackling the meal on your own - ROCK ON!  Enjoy & appreciate your own space & schedule & not having to share any leftovers.  And, everyone, no matter where you are, what you're eating, or with whom you're dining - please take a minute to offer up thanks for the gifts in your life. 

Happy Thanksgiving Eve, y’all! 

xoxo,
Kim






No comments:

Post a Comment